Buttermilk Baked Chicken
This month’s “Utterly Delicious” Recipe is Buttermilk Baked Chicken
Bake this chicken coated in buttermilk to make it tender and juicy. Baby Portobello mushrooms and thyme add savory flavor to the meat and complement a simple buttermilk-mushroom sauce. Serve this delicious main-dish recipe with creamy mashed potatoes and green beans for an easy weeknight meal.
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 ½ pounds)
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sliced Portobello mushrooms
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (10 ¾ -oz.) can CAMBELL’S Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in oven in a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish (about 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, dip chicken in ½ cup buttermilk; sprinkle with pepper, and dredge in flour.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Add mushrooms and thyme. Arrange chicken, breast sides down, in baking dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. Turn chicken, and bake 10 minutes.
- Stir together soup and remaining 1 cup buttermilk. Pour over chicken, and bake 10 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 165 degrees, shielding chicken with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Whisk soup mixture in baking dish until blended and drizzle over chicken.